Monday, December 17, 2012

2012: The Year in Ska - Todd Fausnacht (The Snails)

Editor's Note: As the end of the calendar year sneaks up on me--as it always does, since the fall is always so damn busy!--I always scramble around to put together my "best of" lists of the ska singles, albums, reissues, books, etc. that I really enjoyed over the past year and want to highlight for all the ska fans out there. But I also thought it might be interesting to feature some other opinions, so I approached a diverse group of ska musicians, bloggers, DJs, and label heads to find out what their favorite ska things were in 2012. And thus the "2012: The Year in Ska" series was born! Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to participate--I really appreciate it!

Todd Fausnacht is the guitarist and singer for the Philly-based ska/early rock/soul outfit The Snails.

2012: The Year in Ska - Todd Fausnacht (The Snails)

Top 5 Favorite Ska Releases


1) 
The Aggrolites: Unleashed Live


2) The Caroloregians: Fat is Back

3) The Heavy Beat/The Snails Split
 EP

4) The Forthrights EP


5) Sammy Kay and The Fast Four: "Sweet Misery" single


Top 5 Ska Shows

1) The 
Aggrolites at the MilkBoy, Philadelphia, PA


2) The Aggrolites at The Blockley
, Philadelphia, PA

3) Skalapalooza 2012, Philadelphia, PA


4) Heavy Beat/The Snails split release party at the Funhouse, Bethlehem, PA


5) The Skatalites in NYC


Top Ska Merch

1) My Toots and the Maytals From the Roots record
.

2) My Bob Marley African Herbsman record.

3) My Techniques record.

4) My Slim Smith "Rougher Yet" single.

5) My Ken Boothe "Moving Away" single.


Top 5 Ska Regrets

Missing...

1) Jimmy Cliff at The Mann Center in Philadelphia, PA

2) Toots at The Blockley in Philadelphia, PA

3) Stranger Cole and Patsy backed by Crazy Balhead at The Bell House in Brooklyn, NY


4) 2012 London International Ska Festival

5) Jump Up Record's Chicago Reggae Oldies Weekend with Stranger Cole and Pat Kelly


Top Ska Wishes for 2013

1) I'm excited for the Version City tour--hope it goes well!


2) I hope that The Snails The River comes out on time! [It has!]

3) I hope that The Snails "Death Caught Me" single comes out soon!

4) I hope that our Rocksteady EP can go to press soon
.

5) I hope there is a rise in appreciation and support for everyone playing deep-rooted Jamaican music!



No comments: