Monday, July 20, 2015

Duff Review: Eastern Standard Time "The Dragon" b/w "Miles and Miles"

Self-released
2015
Vinyl 7" single
Available through Jump Up Records

(Review by Steve Shafer)

Eastern Standard Time's terrific new single "The Dragon" b/w "Miles and Miles" was released to co-incide with their recently completed 2015 summer European tour (Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, and more; it's criminal that they're bigger over there than they are in the USA)--as well as the band's 20th (!) anniversary.

The A side is a crisp, top-shelf, ska-jazz original instrumental (love the vibraphone!) complete with subtle 50s/60s sci-fi/flying saucer effects mixed in--perhaps they're referring to this space dragon? (Note the abstract, 1950s picture sleeve cover art that wouldn't be out of place on the cover of an Isaac Asimov or Ray Bradbury collection of short stories or an Eisenhower-era issue of Analog.) "Miles and Miles" is I-Peace Unikue's sweet and soulful entreaty to a special someone to spend their life's journey together:

"Let's take a stroll tonight
Leaving inhibitions and cares behind
You and I
I wanna take the long way with your hand in mine

Baby, I'm in love with you
Every day I want you more and more
Let's discuss what I propose to do
I want to make your dreams come true

Cause every time I see your smile
Forgive me if I stare for awhile
But that's because we'll be together until the end of time

Baby take a walk with me
We could walk for miles and miles and miles and miles..."

Eastern Standard Time write great vintage ska songs that are performed with impeccable musicianship--it doesn't get much better than this!

No comments: