Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Stress Are No More

I'd heard a disturbing rumor from Duff Guide to Ska reader Kames Jelly that Providence, RI rocksteady crew The Stress had broken up (read my review of their excellent Muk! Muk! EP here and an interview with Mike Mowry here). So, I dropped a line to Mike and he confirmed that he and his fellow band mates have parted ways, due to creative differences.

Mike writes that he will be moving forward with recording new material, and I expect that we'll hear from the other ex-members of The Stress at some point down the line, too. I wish them all the best--but I'll miss The Stress!

+ + + +

Here's a video snagged off of YouTube of The Stress performing "Like You Say" and "What Cheer?" at a bar up in Providence last year...

4 comments:

Owen said...

Wow. That's a bummer.

Kames Jelly said...

I was bummed too when Django told me. They were supposed to play this past Version City Party but they broke up before the show.

I never got to see them live, but I'm stoked to hear what he'll be recording post-stress

Jeremy Patton said...

This sucks, cause I think they are already booked for the 3Floors in Boston later this year. Jesse Hayes of The Toasters (Westbound Train) had been playing with them as well and we were in some early talks of signing them for a record...guess that won't be happening now... :/

Steve from Moon said...

I, too, am really bummed. I loved The Stress. Great tunes--deep lyrics--passionate performances. I caught them at The Knitting Factory Brooklyn last fall, at a gig they played with The Toasters. During their set, Bucket and I talked about how terrific they were--and that they would be a good signing for Megalith...

Keep an eye on Mike and the rest of the crew; there will be more good stuff coming from all of them down the line...