Thursday, September 16, 2010

Destination Unknown

Due to some changes in my work situation--I'm a freelancer right now--I just happened to have the time to stop by a grungy off-the-beaten-track East Village record shop packed with pretty reasonably priced used vinyl from every genre imaginable. In the cheapie crates out front, amidst a surprising number of Chuck Mangione LPs (?), I managed to unearth a 12" single of Longsy D's 1989 acid ska hit "Mental Ska (The Rap)" for a buck (here I cop to owning the definitive UK ska acid comp Ska Beats 1: The Street Sound of Freestyle Ska LP that I bought back then), as well as the late Mikey Dread's "The Source of Your Divorce" 12" promo from the KRS One-produced Funky Reggae Crew/Strictly Hip-Hop Reggae Fusion comp that came out that same year (and featured The Unity 2's "Shirlee"). What can I say, it was the late 80s and bands and fans from all of the underground scenes in NYC still mixed and mashed in all sorts of amazing ways...

Inside, in the surprisingly well-stocked New Wave section (I was in high school and college during the 80s and became a huge New Wave/post-punk fan--this was one of the best decades for music ever), I came across a near-mint copy of The NY Citizens' On the Move LP for four dollars. (I already own a copy or two of this, but the collector in me said to snap it up--Moon won't ever be making any more of them.) I also spotted a Higsons 2 Tone 12" single, which I may go back for, even if it was a little pricey (I do love that label).

Sure, I've been able to track down all kinds of ska and reggae releases on my want list through the internet, but nothing beats just digging through the stacks and taking pleasure in what you just happen to find...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve

Are you going to reveal where this store is or save all the goodness for yourself?

-Andrew

Steve from Moon said...

Andrew:

Thanks for your comment. I'll be nice and share (you probably know the place):

A-1 Records
439 E. 6th St., New York, NY, 10009
nr. Ave. A
212-473-2870

The 12" and LPs are really well organized, but the 45s are a mess (but worth digging through).

Not too much good reggae, but there were a few titles that I thought about buying.

Happy hunting!

Steve