Tuesday, March 27, 2012

New Hollie Cook/Prince Fatty Single (Plus New LPs in the Pipeline)!

Without fail, on the (sadly) somewhat rare occasions when I'm lucky enough to spin some wax at ska shows between sets, whenever I play a Hollie Cook track, at least half a dozen people approach me at the decks or afterwards to ask the name of the artist (and I'm more than happy to oblige--I was one of those kids growing up listening to the radio that always paid attention when the DJ listed the names of the songs/artists he or she had just played, because I had to know which records to track down!).

At the Bigger Thomas show at Cin-M-Art in Tribeca earlier this month, it was the haunting "Sugar Water (Look at My Face)--which you can listen to below--that was converting new HC fans in droves. (Read The Duff Guide to Ska's review of Hollie Cook's stunningly good debut album, which features "Sugar Water," here.)



Now we have word from the Hollie Cook and Prince Fatty camps that a stellar new single is forthcoming (which you can pre-order, as I already have): "As the Beat Goes On" b/w "As the Beat Goes On (Dub)." This 7" vinyl single features Prince Fatty's and Hollie Cook's cover and dub versions of The Whispers' 1979 funk/R&B hit (not to be confused with Sonny and Cher's "The Beat Goes On")--and is taken from the forthcoming Hollie Cook In Dub and Prince Fatty Drunken Master albums on Mr Bongo.

No comments: