Thursday, June 4, 2009

More NYC Summer Gigs

Following up on an earlier posting about NYC area ska/reggae gigs this summer, here are two more FREE, outdoor shows to add to your calendar...

Before they head off to the UK for the Glastonbury festival, catch the Easy Star All-Stars (featuring Buford O'Sullivan on t-bone--one of my favorite peeps in the music business, going all the way back to his days in The Scofflaws) at a free outdoor gig in Manhattan:

June 24: Stuyvesant Town Oval with special guest DJ Ticklah spinning tunes (Ticklah at 6:00 pm, Easy Star All-Stars at 7:00 pm.)

Haven't heard it yet, but the Easy Star All-Stars recently released their dub version of the Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, titled Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band.

+ + + +

Also, Burning Spear is playing a free show as part of the Celebrate Brooklyn concert series on July 30 @ 7:30 pm at the Prospect Park Bandshell.

2 comments:

David T said...

I really like Easy Star All-Stars' version of Radiohead's "OK Computer". I used to listen to Radiohead quite a bit and really enjoy Easy Star's version.

I haven't picked up the Sgt Pepper's cover either, but I heard it was only $1.99 or something on amazon.com a few weeks ago for digital download. I guess I missed out on that one!

Steve from Moon said...

David:

Yeah, I missed the cheapo download, too. Then again, I like to have a physical copy of an album, either in LP or CD format...

Steve